A security system is one important way to keep your home or business safe. Security systems can deter crime, but you also want to make sure your security starts with scrutiny of the company itself.
When deciding which company to choose, be sure to check them out by asking these 7 questions:
- Are they insured? Any proper security company will have insurance to protect all parties.
- How do they choose employees? Are the employees part of the company or are they contractors? Whether your business needs security officers and guards or your home simply needs someone to install the system, a security company’s employees should undergo vigorous background checks. After all, the person installing your system will have access to your home and its contents. Background checks should include a criminal history, the sex offender list, and the employee should have multiple references.
- Are the company and its employees licensed? In the State of North Carolina, any person, firm, association, or corporation engaged in an alarm system business needs to be licensed and all service and installation technicians need to be registered.
- What is the company’s response time? If you need emergency assistance, you want help as soon as possible.
- How much will the service cost? You will ask this question naturally, but be sure to confirm installation costs, service costs, and fees. Some companies advertise one cost but charge you another.
- Do you have a contact person at the company? Or is there customer service available 24/7? When you have a question or concern, you shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to manage it.
- How does the company document any incidents that require your attention? Depending on your level of security, this may not apply. But if so, be sure the company has a policy in place, including logs and written reports. You should be able to acquire copies of those when necessary.
More questions about security? Contact us to find out about different options for security systems.